MCI VS NEW: Manchester City were 15 points ahead on the league table and were cruising away to their 3rd premier league title. It took an exuberant Liverpool display to humble the league leaders. The game was envisaged to be one of the matches of the season and it didn’t disappoint one bit. The defeat at Anfield also defied City’s superiority and the invincible tag that was persisting with them parted ways. City after their first premier league defeat are 12 points adrift of the 2nd placed Manchester United. City have now dropped 5 points in the last 3 games; a number which will excite the “big six”. In the 24th game-week City take on Rafa Benitez’s Newcastle United. The two teams met in December at the St. James’ Park in the reverse fixture, where City narrowly beat the Magpies in a 1-0 thriller.
Newcastle United have had a variegated 2017/18 season and are only 3 points behind the relegation zone with 23 points. However, in the last 5 games, Newcastle have won 2, drawn 2 and lost only 1. The only defeat was against Manchester City at home where Raheem Sterling was the difference maker. Newcastle have won back to back away games, a 2-3 victory against Westham United and a 0-1 victory against Stoke City. The last time Newcastle won 3 away games in a row was in 2001. The Magpies have a lot to play for and with some pacy outfielders in their squad, they can upset a settled City bunch.
Reverse Fixture at St. James’ Park: City won 1-0
STATS FOR MCI VS NEW:
- Sergio Aguero has been directly involved in 13 Premier League goals against Newcastle (11 goals, 2 assists), averaging a goal or assist every 49 minutes. At the Etihad, Aguero averages a goal or assist every 31 minutes (8 goals, 1 assist in 283 minutes).
- Matt Ritchie has managed 40 shots in the Premier League this season without scoring, more than any other player in the division yet to find the back of the net.
- Manchester City lost for the first time in 31 Premier League games in their last match against Liverpool. They’re still unbeaten at home in 23 home matches in the competition (W18 D5).Their last defeat, a 1-3 loss to Chelsea in December 2016.
- Newcastle have lost each of their last eight away top-flight matches against Manchester City. They’ve lost more away games consecutively only against the Spurs. Losing nine between 1928 and 1956.
PLAYERS TO WATCH OUT FOR- MCI vs NEW:
Leroy Sane(Manchester City): Sane has been involved in 16 goals this season(7 goals and 9 assists). Pace, intricacy and immaculate passing; Sane has been a perfect fit in Pep’s vision. His partnership with David Silva has worked like a dream for City. Silva has worked under the radar and has allowed the 22-year-old German winger to flourish and how well has Sane obliged. He’ll be up against DeAndre Yedlin and if Sane reaches full throttle, City will score a multitude of goals.
- Minutes played: 1456
- Goals: 7
- Assists: 9(Joint highest with Kevin de Bruyne and Paul Pogba).
Matt Ritchie(Newcastle United): Matt Ritchie hasn’t scored a goal this season in 21 starts for Newcastle, but the right-winger has been instrumental in creating goal-scoring opportunities for his team. Ritchie has also implemented his defensive duties rigorously. The Scottish International has been Rafa Benitez’s go-to man in dire situations and has always retaliated with a healthy response. Against the might of Manchester City, he’ll be the one to watch out for.
- Minutes played: 1823
- Assists: 5
- Tackles: 31
- Blocked shots: 18
- Interceptions: 20
- Clearances: 40
EXPECTED 11- MCI vs NEW:
Manchester City: Ederson(gk), Kyle Walker, John Stones, Nicolas Otamendi, Danilo/Oleksandr Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Kevin de Bruyne, David Silva, Raheem Sterling, Leroy Sane, Sergio Aguero.
Newcastle United: Karl Darlow(gk), Javier Manquillo, Paul Dummett, Jamaal Lascelles, Ciaran Clark, DeAndre Yedlin, Jonjo Shelvey, Matt Ritchie, Mohammad Diame, Jacob Murphy, Joselu.
TEAM NEWS- MCI vs NEW:
- For City, David Silva is likely to replace Ilkay Gindagon after sitting the Liverpool game out.
- Danilo is almost certain to start. He’ll replace the injured Fabian Delph.
- Benjamin Mendy
- Phil Foden
- Fabian Delph
- Vincent Kompany
- Gabriel Jesus.
For Newcastle United, Mitrovic was back in training and is likely to travel to the Etihad.
- Jesus Gamez
- Florian Lejeune
- Chancel Mbemba
- Dwight Gayle
WHO WILL WIN?: City in the last game tasted a defeat and will be roaring to set the tone for the remainder of the season. Pep has always kept his players which has helped them win game after game. With David Silva back in the squad and with Sergio Aguero looking as potent as he ever has, Manchester City are favourites to win this fixture.
FANFIGHT’S TEAM FOR MCI vs NEW:
Participate in the MCI vs NEW contest on FANFIGHT here: https://fanfight.in/gamecenter
DREAM11 FOR MCI VS NEW:
SUBSCRIBE TO GET LATEST UPDATES